Friday, October 17, 2008

Response to Gee and Delpit

I am a member of a group called Shades of Promise here at CSU. SOP is in afiliation with South Carolina State University, a Historicaly Black College/University (HBCU). The goal of SOP is to experience one another's cultures (that of a predominatly white school vs an HBCU), and to have open dialogue about racial diversity. Last weekend I was at SCSU, and I brought up language, and how it can be difficult (as a teacher) to teach Standard English without undermining ethnic or regional speech. I was amazed at how this seemed to trigger many SCSU individules. Everyone who addressed the topic said that when they feel it is needed, they can all speak correctly, however, they appriciate the comfort they feel when a teacher or superior allows them to use the slang they are so accustomed to. One SCSU student asserted that she appriciated my point/question because, yes Standard English is important to be successful and respected in America today, but downplaying the cultural diversity of America can only hinder us as a society. After our discusion, I am still unclear as to where the line should be drawn between teaching Standard English and encourageing/allowing ethnic/regional speech to be used in the classroom. I do know, though, that both are very important. Like many aspects of Education, this issue is not black or white.

1 comment:

David_Mc said...

I find this to be very interesting because I am encountering the same problem. After many discussions in several education classes, I also still find it confusing as to how one should approach the issue of Standard English as opposed to cultural language, or how we should tolerate every form of language while emphasizing Standard English (and I of course think we absolutely should tolerate all forms of language, I just don't know where to draw the line either).